Saturday, April 3, 2021

Winsome Rabbits in Five Minute Sketches

When I started creating sketches with dates for the COVID check in station, I didn't anticipate how much joy they would bring me--and how much I might learn by doing them.

For those of you tired of my sketch process posts, just move along.  I do think they tell us something valuable about the creative process itself, regardless of medium, so let me do some processing here.  

I decided that I wanted to create a sketch for the Monday after Easter that wasn't too Eastery.  I decided on a realistic portrayal of a bunny.  Here's the finished sketch, which I did in about 5 minutes:





I feel like the rabbit in the above picture has a winsome look, or maybe it's a meditative kind of awed look.  Whatever it is, I confess it's an accident.  I started with the nose and worked out from there.  If I worked in pencil, there's a few places I might have revised; one of the benefits of working in pen is that I can't go back meaning I can't make a certain kind of improvement, but also that I can't ruin a piece by revising it into a wreck.

Here's what's really interesting to me--it was born out of failure.  Just 5 minutes earlier, I had made this sketch.





Both sketches used different photos of real rabbits, but still--what a difference in the two.  I'm not exactly sure of why--it's not like I suddenly developed powers of sketching in 10 minutes.  The sketch above was wrong from the minute I did the nose, and then the legs were wrong, and sometimes, it's good to give up and move on to the next sketch.

I like to make sketches a bit in advance, so that I can have them sit on my desk and enjoy them for a bit.



For the April 1 sketch, I didn't intend to have a mention of April Fools.  I drew the tree and liked it, and began to write the date, as I had been doing for weeks before M A--and then I thought, rats, I'm up to April.  But happily, my problem solving brain acted quickly.  No need to cross out my mistake--make it look like I did it on purpose.

I love these sketches in part because for so many years, I thought of myself as someone who couldn't draw.  Now I draw every day.

But more than that, I love them because they remind me of how much we can accomplish, even if we only have 5 or 10 minutes a day.

No comments: