Monday, November 29, 2021

Re-Entry

In so many ways, I wish it was a week ago.  We'd have been on the road just over an hour.  But I don't wish it was a week ago because I'm yearning for a long car trip.  I had a good Thanksgiving break, and I'd like to experience it all again.

I'm also wishing I had gotten more writing done, although I did enough.  As is my practice now, with any scrap of time, I turned to my computer to make some progress, either on final papers for seminary or on grading.

I went to the grocery store yesterday, early in the morning, as has always been my habit, even before the contagious pandemic stalking the land or new variant.  As I walked, I listened to the two homeless men coughing and the baby sniffling, and I wondered if I was lessening my exposure risk or heightening it by being one of the first shoppers in the store.

I am beginning to realize that I forgot to buy some items during our away time.  I looked at the shriveled sweet potatoes yesterday and thought of the times I could have bought better specimens while we were away in North Carolina.  This year was the first year that we didn't make a lot of trips to Wal-Mart, so I didn't get lights to string around our balcony railing.

It was a good time away, and while the next two weeks will be intense ones as I finish grading and I finish seminary work, I don't regret taking the time.  The fact that I wish I could go back and do it all over again makes me grateful that it was worth it.

So let me shake off my post-Thanksgiving melancholy:  time to walk while I think about Rahab and my paper that is due by 11:59 tonight.  Let me think about work.  Let me regain my focus on moving forward.

No comments: