Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Sketching through the Season

At some point earlier this year, I saw the work of Rebecca Vincent and fell in love with the way she uses layers of lines and textures as she creates fields and the sky, waves and the depth of the sea.  With this sketch that I did in September, I tried some layers of my own, inspired by her work and my yearning for autumn:


That sketch clearly influences this sketch that I worked on in mid-October:


And then I decided to do something more abstract, with bolder lines.  I added the buildings in the left upper side closer to the end of the time of creation of the sketch:



As I drew this sketch, still influenced by the idea of bolder lines and shapes, I was thinking about sea level rise and climate change.  But I'm also seeing a descending dove.  Intriguing!



Yesterday I started a class where we will journal our way through the Barbara A. Holmes' book Crisis Contemplation:  Healing the Wounded Village.   My first sketch was inspired by exercises on p. 13 in the Preface Practices, how we came to know our family histories. For me, it wasn't in genetics or DNA, but in the stories we tell or were told, the connection to both farms and mountains, the faith that gets seeded (or lies in fallow soil) for each generation to sprout/grow/harvest in new ways:




No comments: