Monday, February 5, 2024

In Praise of Tracy Chapman

I have spent a delightful morning willing falling down an internet rabbit hole in one of the best kind of ways.  I did not stay up to watch the Grammys, but I did want to see Tracy Chapman.  And voila, because of the age we live in, I was able to do see the Tracy Chapman/Luke Combs duet shortly after it happened.  And I was able to watch it again and again, along with a lot of her other songs, that I haven't heard in decades.

I was impressed with how crystal clear her voice sounded decades ago--and it's still gorgeous.  She could probably sing with anyone and make them sound good.  I indulged in a little fantasy about what I would sing with her.  

And because so much is saved and free on YouTube, I was able to listen to a few other amazing songs.  I've been on a bit of a Sam and Dave kick--"Hold On, I'm Coming" is such a perfect song, so I listened to it again.  And then it was on to the Rolling Stones and now Bruce Springsteen is singing "Further On Up the Road."

But back to Tracy Chapman--I am so glad to see the appreciation that she has generated.  I am so glad that Luke Combs hit just the right notes of respect as he sang with her.  I am so glad that she is still able to play her guitar and sing.  I am so glad that the original album overnight has become #1 on iTunes.

I looked at the list of other nominees and performers.  I'm familiar with a lot of the newer nominees, familiar as in I've heard their names and maybe expound on their cultural importance, but not familiar as in I could hum/sing a few bars.  Once this fact might have made me feel old, but it's been decades since I kept up with "modern" music.

But I'm always grateful when the elders are honored--even when I'm sobered/astonished/chastened to realize that the music of my youth is now being recognized as a gift from the elders.

No comments: