Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Spring Weather and Hibernation

On Sunday, I went to bed at 7:15 p.m. and slept until 3 a.m., which I figured was kind of strange, but I thought I was likely up for the day.  At 6 a.m. yesterday morning, I thought that I was still tired and decided to see what would happen if I laid back down.  I watched the moon setting, and I drifted off to sleep.  I slept until almost 10.

That kind of schedule disruption can be discombobulating, but luckily, I didn't have much on my schedule, aside from the regular activities of seminary work, teaching tasks, thinking ahead to Sunday's sermon and exercising.  I went on a walk in the beautiful mid-afternoon weather and made this Facebook post:

"Lots of delights to be had on a walk on a sunny Monday in February with close to record breaking heat. But I want to remember the small children playing on their driveway with plastic flower pots on their heads, which reminded me of that Devo album cover from so long ago. I didn't want to ruin their fun or make them feel self-conscious, so I didn't take a picture--you'll just have to use your imagination."

I was walking in shorts and a sleeveless T-shirt--amazing for late February.  I kept an eye on the sunset, but it was not as stunning as I thought it would be.

I did get a rough draft done of my essay that I need to submit when I apply for affiliation with United Lutheran Seminary.  Hurrah!  I had been feeling the weight of that, even though it's on a topic that I could write about for days (my call and the future of the church).  Maybe that's part of the problem, that I feel I could write about it for days, and the assignment is 5-7 double spaced pages.

What I have not done as much of is poetry writing.  Part of me thinks it's because the other parts of my life are all consuming right now.  I've gone through these phases before.  But there's always that worry that maybe poetry writing is gone forever.  And even if poetry publishing is gone forever, I want to still see the world through the eyes of my poet self, making interesting connections, seeing imagery and symbolism.  

As I look through my poetry rough draft folder, I see that I'm not as far gone as I thought.  I usually begin a draft once a week.  It's much more rare to actually revise them into something more polished.  And now, while my various school duties are more intense, that seems fine to me.

No comments: