Saturday, September 21, 2024

Seventh Covid Shot, with Flu Shot and Disney Plus

When I got home from work yesterday, my spouse and I went over to the Ingle's pharmacy (for those of you who are far away, Ingles is our local grocery store; we get our shots there because we get fuel points which gives us a tank of gas at a much reduced price).  Finally the new Covid shots are here, and we were ready.  As always, I try to get the shot on a Friday, when I don't have to travel/teach/preach the next day, just in case I have an adverse reaction.

So far, my left arm is sore, and that's it.  I got a flu shot in my right arm, and it's hardly sore at all.  I did some searching of the blog, and I don't think I noted a flu shot last year.  I think I got my flu shot and Covid shot at separate times, because we had Covid in September.  I think I got my 2023 flu shot near Halloween last year, and then my Covid shot in late December, which I did write a blog post about.

I am so grateful for this protection--it's not perfect, but I have hopes that between these shots and my habits of avoiding masses of people, my chances of avoiding disease are much better and having a less severe version if I do get it goes up.

We came home and got Disney Plus set up.  At some point this week-end, I need to watch the filmed version of Hamilton for my Monday seminary class, and Disney Plus is the only way to get it.  It's very affordable:  $1.99 a month for the first three months, and $9.99 after that.  I could also add a few dollars and get Hulu bundled into it--more viewing options.  But for now, we just went with the version of Disney Plus that comes with ads.

When I was thinking about this, I thought that I wouldn't find much to see on Disney Plus.  But then we discovered the 34 seasons of The Simpsons.  We haven't seen the last few years,  since we don't have much access to regular network TV--the antenna doesn't work well up here in the mountains.

So, we'll see how much we use the service.  We have a Roku stick, which first seemed to offer an abundance of riches.  As we've watched through the past two years, it's clear that much of the content is old and not updated, which is fine.  It's been fun seeing old shows that we've loved--and it's been interesting to see how those old shows that are still ongoing don't have the later seasons.

In some ways, I don't care.  I don't watch much TV.  But it's also irritating.  To find anything to watch, one must look through hundreds of channels.  We've used the My Favorites way of organizing, but by now, we've seen just about everything on those channels which are on a long-running loop.

So, as I said, it will be interesting to see if our viewing habits change.  There are movies and shows that aren't available on Amazon or Roku, our habitual streaming/viewing sources.  It will be good to have more options.

And I'm really looking forward to finally seeing Hamilton!

No comments: