I ended the day, the outside of the house part of the day, at the dermatologist's office to get a basal cell skin cancer removed. I arrived late in the afternoon, and it wasn't a surprise that they were running a bit late. Happily, I had a book, Margaret Atwood's The Penelopiad.
What a delightful book! How did I miss its publication back in 2005?
Well, a lot was going on in my life in 2005, much of it difficult (hurricanes, house damage, mother-in-law's broken hip and death by medical industrial complex).
I was glad to have that book with me, because the appointment took longer than it might have earlier in the day. Even more, I was glad it was a compelling book, a book I would have enjoyed, even if I hadn't been stuck with it, in the unique way that one is stuck in a doctor's office. It's a short book, and I read about half of it during the time of waiting.
For the past several years, I've tried to get back in the habit of carrying a book with me everywhere, especially to health care appointments, where I know there will be some waiting time--far better to read a book than to read my phone.
No comments:
Post a Comment