Monday, December 30, 2019

The Last Sunday of 2019

Weeks ago, my pastor asked if I would preach on Dec. 29, and I said yes.  He gave me a choice of texts:  Herod killing the babies of Bethlehem in an effort to get rid of a possible rival that had just been born, Jesus being presented in the temple, or Jesus at age 12 staying behind during a trip to the temple and scaring his parents half to death when they realized he had been left behind.

I preached on Anna last year, and the Jesus in the temple story is much less interesting than Herod.  I chose Herod, and the sermon went well.  I walked a delicate line between including politics and backing away from it.  I thought about talking about our inner Herods, but as I spoke, I decided that including that part took away from the main message, the threat that Christianity poses to Empire.

It seemed to go well.  No one stormed out in a huff, which has happened when I've been in charge at church and brought politics into the mix.  On the contrary, several people thanked me for giving them something to think about.

After church we had to count the money, both for yesterday and Christmas Eve.  We had extra help, so it was easier than I was afraid it would be.

After church, we went to pick up ingredients, primarily a brisket.  We're hosting several events this week, with little time to shop, so we grabbed the opportunity. 

Yesterday afternoon was one of the events.  We have lots of members of my spouse's family living in South Florida, and yesterday, some of them came over.  On Wed., some of them will come back again along with those who couldn't come yesterday, while one of yesterday's group flies back to see other members of the family far away.

Yesterday I spent time enjoying coffee while watching the lights on the trees--so little time left to enjoy the lights on the trees.  Yesterday was the low prep day--we put out leftovers from our Christmas travels and enjoyed being together.

And now it's time to begin the return to normal life, much as I would prefer to be on a balcony pondering the slates and greys and greens of the Gulf of Mexico or watching the trees twinkle.  Today it's back to doing the bread run and getting to spin class.  And then to work, to get ready for the term that begins on January 8.

No comments: