Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Season of a Sketchbook

Monday, I started a new sketchbook.  As I closed the last one, I realized that the last sketch was done on Easter.  I started the sketchbook on Transfiguration Sunday.  I don't usually have a sketchbook that begins and ends this way, perfectly synced with the season.

Here's the Feb. 23, 2020 sketch that opens the sketchbook:



I also wrote some haiku.  The last one leapt out at me:

Tale of two mountains
Stay here in God's presence.
Golgotha summons.


Little did I know--even then, the new virus was making its way into new parts of our country.

When I got to the last page of the sketchbook, it was the Saturday before Easter.  On Saturday, I created this sketch:



I have experimented with small dots and dashes in the past, but never crosses.  I had Good Friday on my brain.

On Easter Sunday, I added a bit of color.



I'm taking an online journaling class, and we're working with a limited palette, so that's why I don't have the kinds of colors that my sketches usually have.

I have not been writing much haiku in these past weeks.  Maybe I'll start doing that again.

No comments: