Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Messages Going Astray, Messages Finding Their Way

Several Saturdays earlier, I saw a new-to-me feature in the new Facebook interface:  the New Message Request feature, which somehow is different than an Instant Message (?).  I found a message from back in December, from a RevGals moderator who wanted to use my image from this post.




I felt all sorts of dismay, but they all boiled down to this essential:  how could I have missed this message?

I wrote to the person who wrote it:  "I am so sorry. I think I am just now seeing this message. When I changed to the new FB platform, it showed up in a Message Request area. Of course, it's possible that I did see it and respond. I can't easily see old messages in FB messanger. Nonetheless, I wanted to send belated thanks for your appreciation of my work, and I am so sorry that I didn't see this message earlier--I would have said yes."

She wrote back almost immediately:  "Thank you for the reply. It seems to me that Facebook occasionally tries to create a hide and seek game with some of its features. I looked back at your blog post, and I still find that sketch provocative. Perhaps there will be another occasion when I will ask your permission to share it."

Well, you don't have to educate me the same way twice (I hope).  I wrote to her:  "I'd be happy for you to use it, so I'll go ahead and give you permission now. Thanks for your reply--I saw your message, and my heart just sank. It does make me wonder how many other messages go astray. But I'm glad that I saw your message belatedly. Again, thank you for being so gracious."

And lo and behold, she used it the same week!  It made me happy that even with lost chances can come new opportunities--a good reminder for us all.


Here's the text that accompanied my sketch:  

DAILY THREAD - Prayer Requests and Check-Ins - Monday-Tuesday September 7-8

Doors can be open, to provide access; they can be closed, to create a barrier. What doors are open or closed in your life today? Here is a thread to share your hopes, your fears, your reflections. How can we pray for you today?

Photo: sketch by RevGal Kristin Berkey-Abbott, used with permission. Created as an Advent reflection last year, it makes me think about congregations now making decisions about opening the door to in-person worship.

No comments: