Sunday, September 6, 2020

Pandemic Grocery Shopping

  Yesterday I left the house early for a Saturday--time to restock the supplies.  An hour later, the friendly cashier said, "I can tell you're a good cook by all the things you've bought."

I'm a little surprised that she didn't say, "What kind of disaster prepper are you anyway?"

Yesterday's trek was to the WalMart Neighborhood Market.  I do have some qualms about shopping at WalMart, but I have those same qualms about most of the ways I shop, qualms that come back to this basic question:  are the workers being treated fairly?  Unlike other places I might prefer to live, here in South Florida, we have no small farms to support and very little in the way of locally owned stores of any kind.

Because I went to WalMart Neighborhood Market, I wasn't just buying food for our meals.  I bought 3 bottles of aspirin because I haven't been able to find generic aspirin all summer, and finally, the aspirin shelf was stocked.  I bought paper towels and Kleenex and nicotine tablets.  But I also bought a lot of food.

I have almost always keep a full pantry:  canned goods, dried beans, grains, baking supplies.  I don't always keep a lot of perishables.  I remember having friends over one evening in January, and one of them said, "You have the fridge of a single person."  I had just cleaned it thoroughly because it was so empty.  Eventually, I restocked.

In these pandemic days, I don't let our supplies get quite as low as I did before.  I am still expecting some supply chain disruptions as colder weather comes and people get sick and now we've all been told to stay home even if we just feel sniffly.

I am a good cook--it made me feel inordinately happy when the cashier said that--so much better than looking like a maniacal disaster prepper.

No comments: