Monday, October 19, 2020

Lessons from Quilt Camp (a Non-Comprehensive List)

--There are many ways to stitch a quilt:  by hand, by machine, in a group, by oneself, in one big push, over months or years, with small scraps (even the smallest bits that most of us would throw away) or long strips.

--Some people might not quilt because of how expensive fabric is--but I met one woman who's assembling amazing quilts out of the scraps that many of us throw away:


Here's a close up with my hand to give a sense of perspective:



--Metaphors abound!  Some of us are careful and precise, some aren't, and we can all play a vital part.

-- It's strange, in some ways, to gather as a group when a highly contagious virus with no vaccine and no cure burns across the planet.  But we've all been wearing masks for months, so it's not as strange as I thought it would be.

--I have really enjoyed having huge swaths of unstructured time to work on our own projects.  It's still inspiring to see what people are doing.  We're still able to learn from each other.

--I don't need a retreat with lots of Bible study, lots of worship, lots of planned activities.  That's good to remember.

--I can get a lot done when I don't need to get anything else done.  One of the reasons I was successful this past week-end is that someone else was cooking and cleaning.  My spouse would point out that someone else is often cooking and cleaning--but when that's happening in my house, I feel the need to help.  I feel guilty if I don't help.  If I've paid to have time away, I don't feel guilty.

No comments: