Thursday, October 15, 2020

Traveling to the Quilt Retreat and First Evening

I am writing from my room at Lutheridge--at long last, I've made it to Quilt Camp!

I say at long last, because I wanted to go last year.  But last year's Quilt Camp happened just before our big accreditation visit, and I knew I wouldn't enjoy it even if I could get away from work, which I probably couldn't do.  I was determined to go this year.

This year, it was unclear that the retreat would happen, given that there's a pandemic raging across the country.  But the camp folks figured out how we could be socially distanced and masked and reduce our risks.  It seemed worth the risk to me.  We are not working in close proximity to each other; we're spread out across the camp dining hall.  We could open windows and doors, if we want additional air flow to reduce risk.  There are only 13 of us.  Here's a sense of how the room is set up:



I had some vacation time that will vanish if I don't use it before Oct. 31, so I am even happier to be here, using that time for a real treat of a get away:  quilts and Lutheridge and the mountains and a trip to the apple orchard that's still open!

This time yesterday, I'd have already been on the road for hours.  I wasn't sleeping well, and when my eyes snapped open--again!--at 2, I tried to go back to sleep for 20 minutes, and then I got up and finished getting ready.

I thought I might need to take some quick naps along the way, but I felt great, so I just kept going.  I had a full pot of coffee in 2 thermoses, so I did use many rest areas along the way--kudos to the person who planted a birds of paradise plant that's now as almost 5 feet tall.

I usually listen to NPR stations along the way, but every one yesterday carried the Senate hearings for Supreme Court nominee Amy Coney Barrett, so I didn't stay on those channels long.  I must confess I was impressed with her performance, during hearings which lasted an ungodly amount of time for a nominee whom we already know will be confirmed.

So I listened to a variety of radio stations, along with my own music that I brought along.  I also listened to right wing talk radio, but not for very long, because the level of paranoia was mind blowing.  More than one right wing radio voice talked about the leftist armed uprisings that they expect after election day, regardless of who wins.

They must know different leftists from the ones I know.  The ones I know have no guns or any other weapons.  The leftists I know have fierce words, but no physical fighting skills.  Of course, most of the leftists I know are older and practicing social distancing.

I got to Lutheridge in Arden, North Carolina (near Arden) at 2:40 p.m.--I made great time, considering how many times I stopped to pee.  I got checked in and got set up.  I have wanted to go to this retreat for the same reason I want to go to writer's retreats.  I want to see what I can accomplish with a chunk of time.  With a quilt, the additional gift is having a space to leave everything set up for a few days.  I got my quilt set up, and then I went to dinner with friends who are also here for the quilt retreat.


Yes, I went to dinner.  We ate at a local place which had outdoor dining.  We spread ourselves out across two tables at the edge of the patio space that didn't have many diners.  It felt fairly safe.  It was delicious.

After dinner, I decided to go back to the dining hall.  I thought I would be tired, but I did some quilting.  I got more done yesterday than I've done in years.

To be fair, I put it in the box marked "Quilt in Progress" when we moved in 2013. I put that box in the closet, and today was the first time I've had it out of that box since we moved.

I thought I would sleep deeply, and I did, for only 4 hours, though.  Oh well.  The beauty of this retreat is that I can duck out and take a nap as needed.  The retreat  is mostly long periods of unstructured time. One devotion in the morning, and a sharing time in the evening (sharing as in more like show and tell than emotional sharing). The room is open around the clock--last year, one group of women worked until 3 a.m.

More to come--I'm interested to see what I accomplish during the next 4 days.  I also brought my laptop, my camera, my sketchbook, my poetry legal pads--I'm prepared for all sorts of creativity!

No comments: