Friday, January 29, 2021

Hospice Chaplain with a Sketchbook

Long ago, when we first set up our COVID check in station, I started making a card each day with the date and a quick sketch.  I thought people would need to know the date, and rather than answer the question multiple times, I'd make the card.  Some days I sketch a scene, while other days it's more abstract.  Some days, it's a scene with abstract elements or a scene, sketched abstractly:



There are days I wonder if I should still do this.  After all, most people have a phone with a date.  But people do look at it, and it does bring a spark of joy into my work day as I do it.

Last week, I didn't have much time to make Friday's sketch, so I created this:



My colleague and friend had been having a tough week with her dog who was in the last stages of life before dying on Friday.  I had dogs on the brain, but truth be told, I was only trying to capture the essence of a dog, not her particular dog.  Still, my friend told me that it meant a lot to her.  Later, she made this picture her Facebook picture:



Since my first sketch meant so much to her, I decided to create a better sketch, based on the photo:



She wants to keep the date card.  She had me sign it:




When I first started this date card with sketch practice, I didn't anticipate all the directions it would take me.  To be honest, the me that I was in May, when I started, would be surprised that we're still doing this as January moves to February of 2021.  Even though I didn't realize I was starting a daily practice, I'm glad that I have.

It's brought me joy, and I'm glad that it's brought joy to others.  And I'm happy that it's brought solace.  When I used to say that I had vague longings of being a hospice chaplain, I wasn't thinking of this approach.  As I look at much of my life in the past few years, I often get the sense of God saying, "You want to be a hospice chaplain?  I have work for you to do, sweetie."

No comments: