Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Poetry Tuesday: "Cassandra Visits the Fertility Clinic"

In all the Inauguration news of last week, all the various work ups and downs, I forgot to mention a publication.  I was happy to get my copy of Gargoyle, which published one of my Cassandra poems.

Cassandra is one of the figures from Greek myth to whom I return again and again.  As I was thinking about this poem's publication after I got my contributor copy of the journal, I got the idea for another one, Cassandra visiting her spiritual director and trying to use centering prayer--so let me note that, for a day when I feel like I have no more poems to write ever.

I was thinking of this poem, of Cassandra in the modern age, of the idea of the future in a time when the future seems so fraught with peril.  Does the future always seem fraught with peril?  It has in my lifetime, although the nature of the peril has shifted.

Would Cassandra, with her vision of the future, keep her eggs?  This poem attempts to answer that question: 


Cassandra Visits the Fertility Clinic 


Cassandra flies to Minneapolis, her annual 
pilgrimage to visit 
her frozen, fertilized eggs. 

She sees this storage 
facility as an an extravagant luxury 
in an age of rising 
seas and record 
shattering heat. She understands 
the cost of her clenching 
grasp and insistence on open options. 

Still, she cannot release 
these eggs, either to fallow 
wombs or to the sewer. 
Her Catholic upbringing and her guilty 
sense of failed femaleness 
forbid her to sign the forms. 

And so she pays for freezer 
space and back up generators 
and monitoring of all sorts. 
During boring meetings, she designs 
the nursery she will likely never need.


No comments: