Monday, May 24, 2021

First Time Preaching Back in the Sanctuary, Masked and Distanced

Earlier this week, our church got the go-ahead from our insurers and our bishop to have more participation in the worship service, meaning we can now have others at the lectern as part of the worship service. My pastor asked me if I wanted to preach on Sunday, and I said yes. It's Pentecost, after all--the sermon practically preaches itself.  For more about the sermon itself, see this post on my theology blog.

It was strange to think about the past year:  I've preached to an empty sanctuary and to people sitting in the outdoors, in the back area of the church.  I've sent in pre-recorded sermons.  There was one moment yesterday when I thought about how long it had been since I preached in that church building with people in the pews.  And now, here they were, spaced out and masked.  It was strange but good.

Yesterday was different in so many ways than past times when I've filled in for the pastor and shook hands as people left.  Of course, we're not back to shaking hands yet, so that wouldn't have happened anyway.  But in the past, when I've preached, at least one parishioner shakes my hand and implores me to go to seminary.  In the past, I couldn't imagine circumstances aligning so that could happen.  But now, it is!

Yesterday, I did get a few positive/glowing comments about my sermon--in fact, my pastor said it was a good sermon, and he hoped that I could feel the energy amongst the congregation during the sermon.  I was glad to get that observation.

I realize that in later years, when I'm preaching all the time, I may look back to the guest preaching spots and miss them.  Or perhaps I won't be preaching because I'm at a different call, and at a different church where the pastor doesn't invite lay preaching.  I do realize I'm lucky that my pastor issues invitations and that I'm open to accepting them.

And I do realize how lucky I am to be able to see a path forward to ordination and in having all sorts of support on that journey.

No comments: