Sunday, May 30, 2021

Of Housing Markets and Arks

We spent yesterday the way we often spend our Saturdays, talking about the housing market, talking about possible timelines for the end of my job, talking about seminary plans and what path to the future appeals to my spouse right now for himself (teaching?  grad school?  city government work?  something else?).  

I had this article from The Atlantic on my brain, along with the house sale news from our good friends in the neighborhood, who are no longer in this neighborhood.  The article argues for waiting to buy a house; it posits that the blazing hot housing market won't be hot forever, but also that there's not a crash in the offing.  It will be more like a return to normal.

The article argues that we're looking at a classic supply and demand issue that has been decades in the making.   And what do the experts expect?  One expert suggests looking at the supply of houses:  "After crashing to an all-time low in April, active inventory has actually increased for three straight weeks. That’s the good news. The bad news is, at its current pace, the number of houses on the market nationwide won’t reach normal levels for about 14 months, all things being equal."

So maybe it's no surprise that my brain returned to my poem series that looks at modern issues through the lens of Noah, Noah's family, and the ark.  Yesterday another idea for a poem about Noah's wife occurred to me. She sees the ark as a vehicle to a new life, and he sees it as a container to save the old life. How does this post-flood marriage survive?

I thought about also tying it into my idea about the cicadas.  Were they worth saving, if they are only going to be active every 17 years?

I do worry that others will find it tiresome, seeing everything through the eyes of Noah's wife.  But then again, I don't really have to worry, do I?  I'm not even sure I'm going to assemble it into a book.  It delights me, and that's what matters.

No comments: