Sunday, August 1, 2021

The Sealey Challenge Begins

One of the advantages of joining Twitter in 2020 was hearing about the Sealey Challenge.  It wasn't the first year of the Challenge, but it was the first I had heard of it.  I wasn't sure that I could do it, but as the month unfolded, I realized--once again--that I have more time than I think that I do.

Last week-end, I looked through my bookcases and chose some of the books I'll be reading.  Last year, those books were packed away, and soon, they may be packed away again.  I've decided that this year, I'll only be reading works by women, and most of them will be volumes that I've read before.  It will be good to revisit those works again.

Last year, I made a post each day of what I read, and I plan to do that this year too, although this year, I may skip a day or two.  I also tried to create an interesting photo that commented on the poems in some way--this blog post will show you some samples, along with a narrative.  That was fun and meaningful for me, and I hope to do it again, but I may not do it as regularly as I did last year.

Last year, I didn't have as much going on--we were still in semi-quarantine, and our goal at school was to get students in and out quickly and to avoid congregating, which opened up a lot of time--not just time to read, but some mental space to plan what I would read and to plan the picture and the micro review.  I can't be sure that this year will be the same, with a move coming up and getting the house ready for market and then seminary starting at the end of the month.

I can't be sure that I can read one book each and every day, but I know that if I don't try, I definitely won't succeed.  So let's see what happens this year.

1 comment:

WH said...

I had never heard of this challenge, perhaps because I rarely use Twitter. Thanks for this post.