Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Great Ways to Start the New Year

Yesterday was one of those nourishing days.  Did I get a lot of cleaning done at the old house?  No, I did not.  But that's O.K., even though it may mean a very long day later as we get closer to Sunday's open house.

Let me list the delights of the day:

--I had the day off for Rosh Hashanah.  Our school's previous owner didn't even give workers most of the federal holidays off, let alone any religious holiday except Christmas.  It's a nice change, especially this September, when we have days off each week for Jewish holidays.

--I went to the library and got the book I need for a seminary class, the book that sounds enough like books I already have on spiritual practices that I wanted to look at it first.  While I was there, I found the newest book by Julia Cameron.  How I love the public library.

--I had some cheese and crackers for early lunch, one of my favorite meals.  I read a chunk of the Cameron book, and once again, I'm grateful for the public library.  I've read so many of Cameron's books that while it's great to have a new book, I'm always glad that I didn't spend a chunk of money on a book that says what Cameron has said before.

--I made this Facebook post and hoped that it didn't sound like cultural appropriation:  "I have today off for Rosh Hashanah, which means I can tune in for the Opening Convocation for Wesley Seminary, which I'm watching now. I'm wishing I had apples and honey and a cake to complete my ecumenical adventure, but instead, I'll eat cheese (Stilton with blueberries) and crackers and enjoy a new year celebration with my seminary."

--Unfortunately, the sound quality for the opening convocation went in and out, so that I only got every 7th word or so.  Eventually, I gave up on hoping that the tech wrinkle would work itself out and went on to other activities.

--I had the most amazing nap, the kind where I sleep deeply and wake up slightly panicked at not being sure where I am or what day/hour it is.

--We have been waiting on a plumber to come and fix the kitchen sink in our rental condo.  Every other faucet has great water volume and pressure, but the kitchen faucet has dwindled to a trickle.  We thought we would have to wait until Friday for the plumber, but he appeared yesterday, and we were home--that would not have always been the case.

--The plumber said we need a new faucet, so we'll be waiting a bit longer for the landlady to choose one and have it shipped to us.  But in a way, that's good news.  If it was a supply line issue, it would likely be a much less easy fix, but we have plenty of water and pressure in the line.  And I'm glad to have the plumber confirm that we do have a problem.  Why I would doubt the evidence of dwindling water that my own 2 eyes can see--that's a topic for a different day.  Hopefully a new faucet will be the cure, for our kitchen water issues, if not for my self-doubt issues.

--We made a great dinner, one of our basic go-tos:  salmon, brown rice, broccoli, butternut squash souffle (an easy side dish in the freezer case).  And I have left overs for lunch tomorrow when I return to work for my 2 day work week this week.

--I "went" to week 2 of my virtual synchronous seminary class on the New Testament Gospels.  For the second week, I was very happy.  I love the instructor, I love the subject, I'm learning new stuff but not being overwhelmed with all I don't know.

--I finished my day off by looking at the flier my realtor made for the open house and feeling happy about it.  Hurrah!

I did have trouble sleeping last night, perhaps because of my amazing nap.  But I feel pretty good today, ready to see what this second day of Rosh Hashanah vacation brings.

No comments: