Thursday, September 30, 2021

A Month of Holidays Comes to an End

Next week my school returns to a normal work schedule of 5 day work weeks.  My school now celebrates Jewish holidays, and because of how the holidays fall this year, we haven't had a full week of work days in all of September; our registrar said, "We're following firefighter work schedules in Sept."  

We had Labor Day off and then 2 days for Rosh Hashanah.  The next week, we had Thursday off for Yom Kippur.  We finished the last 2 weeks of September by celebrating Sukkot 1 and 2 on the Tuesday and Wednesday of each week.  It's been glorious.

It's also been a godsend.  I've needed the extra time for the selling the house project.  I can do much of my seminary work from anywhere, but I've needed time to get the house ready for market, and then to do additional packing and moving, and that's work that must be done at the house itself.

On Tuesday, I wrote this Facebook post:  "I am home because my school has a Sukkot holiday today. I am writing about Rahab in Joshua 2 while listening to Carl teach Descartes in his Philosophy class. In some ways, it feels like we've fallen through a hole in time, and we're back at Newberry College, filling our brains with delightful Liberal Arts stuff. Maybe after lunch, we'll go over to the theatre and work on the latest set designs. Or maybe we'll do layout for the student newspaper. We'll do it the old-fashioned way, with Xacto knives."

Then I added some bits:  "And tonight, we'll go over to the radio station to spin the latest vinyl: Radio Free Newberry!"  and "Likely the only time that the Violent Femmes were played on the airwaves in South Carolina back in the 1980's."

And then I had this idea:  "If I was an entrepreneurial sort, I'd create a retirement community that would model a liberal arts undergraduate campus, so we could spend our golden years reliving our Liberal Arts undergrad years."

I finished this way:  "I would pay big bucks to live in such a place, but I would rather move into an already existing place than create one from scratch."

Yes, if I could sum up my perfect life:  classes in the morning to stimulate my intellect, retreat style offerings of arts and crafts projects in the afternoons to keep my creative self happy, and good food and companionship throughout the day.  Then I could go to sleep satisfied, happy in the knowledge that I got to get up and do it all again the next day.

No comments: