Monday, September 13, 2021

The Day Before, and the Day After, Our Open House

It is the day after our Open House.  We did not stay up half the night going over all the offers we received, and I have no idea if that's to be expected or not.  We had hoped for so many offers that we would never even put the house on the market.

The house goes on the market today, and we keep our fingers crossed.  Yesterday morning, we did the final activities:  one last vacuuming, one last pool cleaning, one last walk through.  Of course, they won't be the final activities if the house doesn't sell soon.

As we drove to church, bleary eyed and achy all over, I said, "There have been times in the last 6 weeks when I wasn't sure how we would ever get to this point."  So I am happy to be at this point, even if we don't have 6 offers in hand.

It makes me somewhat sad, of course.  The house has never looked better, at least not while we've owned it, than it looks right now.  We'd get one thing fixed, look up, realize how many other items needed attention, and trudge along, despairing of ever getting it all done.  For example, the kitchen remodel was finally complete, but we didn't have a good way of displaying our books.  My spouse created a plan for floating shelves, which took far longer than anticipated.  And the exterior of the house was ever in need of paint, which my spouse intended to do, at the first opportunity that he got a break from teaching.

Of course, as an adjunct, he has always had a full slate of classes.  No full time pay, of course, but no free time either.

We have hired people to do the work, which comes with its own headaches.  The problem with being married to a do-it-yourselfer is that they want to do it themselves, and they're highly critical of the work of others.  And I just want the work complete.  I am not looking for some Platonic Ideal when it comes to painting the house.  

I am anxious about what comes next in this process.  But I am always anxious about what comes next.  Let me turn my attention back to my seminary studies, one of the reasons why I was hoping that we could have gotten the house on the market earlier this summer.  I wanted to be wrapped up with the housing stuff at this point as the third week of seminary starts for me.

Hopefully, soon we will be.

No comments: