Thursday, May 19, 2022

Snippets and Snapshots

Last night, we went outside to watch the sunset. I was struck by how warm it was at 8:00 PM. We've had a few nights of dining out, sitting in outdoor spaces, but I suspect that won't last much longer. Let me collect a few snippets from the past week, snapshots not substantial enough to be their own blog post, but I want to remember them.

--Last week we went to the rooftop bar of a local high-rise hotel. Once it was a scruffy kind of bar, but it's been transformed into a white tablecloth place. We were dressed for a scruffy bar and planned to leave, but the manager encouraged us to stay and led us to a table with a premium view of the city.  I am aware that the manager may have let us stay because it was a slow night, but it felt like a kindness to be shown to a table after I had said that I thought we were not dressed appropriately and so we would just leave.  The weather was perfect, and the food was delicious. I'm glad we stayed.

--It was the kind of evening that I thought we would have more of when we first moved to this condo. I felt slightly glamorous even in my scruffy clothes. I felt like a character in an interesting movie.

--Today I go for my second round of hand therapy. I still need help straightening my fingers after my wrist surgery. It's not as painful as I was afraid it was going to be, and it does seem to be helping.

--There have been moments during the last several weeks where I feel despair about the amount of money that my injury demands we spend. We are getting close to having spent a semester's worth of tuition money. I am trying to focus on feeling grateful that we have the money, in part because we saved for a rainy day and in part because of the windfall of selling a house in a historic district during a high market time.  I remind myself that my wrist break was an accident, but the fact that it was an accident makes me feel even worse somehow.

--I have been trying to get back into the habit of walking. Having a cast on my lower arm makes my shoulder ache even during a short walk. When I said I needed to introduce more exercises to shape my arms, I should have been more specific.

--But I need to persist in walking and to get back to all kinds of healthier habits like eaing more fruits and veggies.  Let me begin with a glass of V8 juice.

No comments: