Monday, July 25, 2022

Healthy Habits

Today I hope to get back to my healthiest habit of taking a daily walk--my other healthiest habit of eating plenty of fruits and veggies will have to wait until we have a fridge.  I should probably take a multivitamin to make sure I'm getting enough nourishment.

There are other habits I need to get back to--sketching will need to wait until our furniture catches up with us and perhaps until I get more mobility in my wrist.  I need to get back to poetry writing--that took a back seat as I packed up the house.

It is also strange to think about establishing habits, since in a month, I will be in a new place, needing to establish new habits there.  But in a way, these habits should transfer.  All of my classes will be afternoon and evening classes, so if I establish morning habits, those should be able to transfer to seminary housing with me.

It is interesting to feel this possibility of a much more leisurely pace to the morning.  In South Florida, I had to get my walk in before the sun came up.  

I am also realizing that I didn't bring much in the way of reading material with me.  How could I have forgotten to keep a few books out of the boxes for this transitional time?

Let me also record some delights of the past few days.  We went to the closest Lutheran church yesterday--they had an outdoor bluegrass/country service for their 8:45 service.  We brought our lawn chairs, as the website suggested.  Once I got settled, I realized that one of my Create in Me retreat friends was there.  After the service, my spouse greeted friends he had made during his time on the Novus Way board.  It's cool to realize that we already have some roots in this area, deeper roots than I may have realized.

Sunday afternoon, a Lutheran Student Movement friend from long ago college days stopped by.  She and her husband were on their way back from a family event nearby.  She offered to pick up lunch, which I thought was generous.  I thought she meant they'd grab some fast food, but instead, she brought a beautiful picnic with a cooler that we can keep until we see them again.  I'm glad, since we had leftovers.  

We had great conversation on our beautiful deck.  It was a warm day, but the deck was comfortable.  Our house doesn't have AC, so we could have stood it with the fans going, but it was better outside--and that's not something I said often during the summer months in South Florida.  How wonderful to get back to the healthy habit of resumed friendships.

It's light enough to walk now--let me get ready.  But let me also choose a line from my collection of abandoned lines that led me to some good poems in the late spring and early summer.  Let me set the stage to have a poem percolating.

Here's the line:

Make your new porridge in a dented pot

No comments: