Sunday, October 30, 2022

Ancient Prophets, Modern Art

I have spent much of the week-end writing traditional papers--that process doesn't lend itself to pictures.  But a different project does:



Since this project isn't due until later this week, I haven't spent as much time working on it.  I did take a walk last night and gathered some leaves in the dark.  I was happily surprised by their color.

You may wonder what I'm planning, and to some degree, I do too.  Here's the assignment:

Assignment for November 3:  You are to create an original visual art piece for next class inspired by the following scripture, Habakkuk 1: 1-4 and 2: 1-4. Create a visual art piece using whatever materials you like. Next class you will each present what you created to the class for a liberatory-style “critique” (less of a critique, more of a response to the work).

At the end of our Creative Process, Spiritual Practice class on Thursday, we went to the studio.  Right now, the studio isn't used for classes--the artist in residence has the space to create her work, and hopefully at some later point, we'll get to see the work and hear her discuss it.

But the studio also contains a lot of supplies and equipment, and our teacher encouraged us to take what we needed, and to return on Tuesday, when she's back on campus, if we discover we need something else.  I have a fair amount of supplies here with me, so I wasn't sure what I needed.  The piece of canvas spoke to me, so I took that, especially since there is enough for everyone.

I thought I might create a sketch or a painting on the canvas.  But now I have something else in mind, something that will involve spools of thread and fabric and that oatmeal container.  

I have the work of Cole Arthur Riley on my mind, with this passage from This Here Flesh:  Spirituality, Liberation and the Stories that Make Us from chapter 1: "On the day the world began to die, God became a seamstress." (p.13) and "Maybe the same hand that made garments for a trembling Adam and Eve is doing everything he can that we might come a little closer. I pray his stitches hold" (p. 15). I have used the image of God as quilter in more than 1 poem.

I also have this line that I wrote down on October 2:  Bedraggled floors and a needle / I cannot thread.  But is the word floors or flours?  Hmm.

And now I will experiment with a piece of three dimensional visual art.

No comments: