Monday, October 31, 2022

One Last Halloween Post

Let me write my last Halloween post of 2022.  I shall miss the festive lights and the decorations both sedate and garish.  



Of course, I'm hoping that homeowners keep some of them. 



Orange lights and pumpkins can work for all of November as we head to Thanksgiving. 



I will take another walk or two today, but I won't be out and about tonight.  My online class that I'm taking synchronously, by way of Zoom, will be meeting, and one of the authors of one of our textbooks is going to be a special guest.



I'm not sure that we'll get many trick-or-treaters in seminary housing.  There are two locked doors before you get to our apartment doors, so outsiders wouldn't come.  We have a few children in housing, but most of them are the children of Korean exchange students.  I made a sign, just in case.



If I didn't have a class, I might have headed over to my sister's place.  Their neighborhood does Halloween the old-fashioned way, with adults in the driveway giving out candy and keeping an eye out for all the children.  We've got rain in the forecast, but I really hope that they don't get rained out.



As I've walked in the evening this past week, I've heard children's voices along with some shrieks. As far as I can tell, they've been having fun.  I thought of my own autumn childhoods, playing Ghost in the Graveyard.



I find myself thinking of the special spin classes that we used to have with Halloween music and decorations.  I am trying not to feel sad about all the communities that the pandemic ripped away.  Let me try to remain in a state of gratitude.


Let me take one last walk in the pre-dawn light.  



I won't be able to see these Kara Walker-esque cut outs, but that's O.K.



I have eaten the applesauce cake, made with homemade applesauce, for breakfast.  I made it on Saturday because I wanted gingersnaps but had no molasses.  Applesauce cake with homemade applesauce is surprisingly delicious.  I have no picture of that cake, since I've eaten it all--but here's one last Halloween picture.  


I love the do-it-yourself ghosts, with gauze wrapped jars and googly eyes--you could put a candle or light in them.


May we all get more treats than tricks, and the only tricks be those of multiplication of things we love.

No comments: