Saturday, February 25, 2023

Ancient Texts, Dry Bones

Yesterday was a wonderful day.  I did seminary writing of all sorts:  a more formal paper finished for my Queer Theology class, responding to classmates' discussion posts for World Religions class, and a less formal response to the week's material for Church History class.  I watched videos for class and did a bit of reading.  I did some piecing together of scraps of cloth into squares for my quilt.  I made dough for homemade pizza, and then I made homemade pizza.  I took a walk.

Today will be more of the same--hurrah!  There's a chance of snow throughout the day, but right now, the skies are clear.  I should probably go for today's walk sooner, rather than later.

I've already written a poem this morning, so I feel like I've won, even before I've started.  I was feeling a bit blah before the writing, devoid of ideas and directions.  So I turned to my file of abandoned lines and chose these two that were in the file just as you see them below:

She collects silk ribbons in a sea of colors

Ancient texts, vast deserts, ash, dry bones and wombs

I used the first line as the first line.  I didn't use the second line overtly in the poem that emerged, although it did shape my ideas.  I've written three stanzas, which may mean that the poem is done, or it may mean that more will come.

Today's seminary writing is not as much writing I look forward to:  a short paper on Teresa of Avila's Interior Castle for Church History.  I want to have a rough draft done by tomorrow.  I also want to start on both exegesis assignments this week-end:  one for the Luke class and one for the Women and the Preaching Life class.

But first, let me get that walk done, before the snow comes.  You might say, "Wait and go for a walk in the snow."  I am actually anticipating rain, not snow.  So let me get some exercise while the weather is decent, cold but clear.

No comments: