Friday, February 24, 2023

Queer Theology, Quilting Theology, Theology of Aging

I have a Queer Theology paper due at 5 p.m. today.  I thought I was going to write something that explored the ways we perform gender/race/class, and how aging can impact that.  But then I thought that maybe I was writing two different papers.  They could be one paper, if it was a different kind of requirement.  But the paper is only supposed to be 600-700 words, and I was at 1,160 words yesterday afternoon, and I was far from finished.

I decided to create a new draft, one that excised the aging bits.  Late yesterday, I had created a quilting metaphor that I liked.  It asked what would happen if a quilt square rearranged itself--how would the quilter Creator respond? So I started a new draft to expand the quilting metaphor.

Now I may have 3 papers wrapped up into one.  I like the quilting metaphor, but I don't think it does what is required for this part of the paper (quoting the assignment here):   "With the remaining space in your paper, make your own argument that builds on the argument of the text.  What does the text allow you newly to say, or say anew?  What does it make you curious about, and what hypothesis might you venture in relation to that curiosity?  What’s the next frontier for the line of argument in the text, in your judgment?"

I've got about 400 words in which to do that.  I don't think the quilting argument says something new or goes to the next frontier, although it is intriguing.  It is an essay that is more in line with Queer Apologetics*, which is not what this class is exploring.

Let me excise a bit again.  Perhaps I can do more with economics and aging and the ways that our system is rigged and how theology offers an escape.  Hmm.

On to draft #3--but have no fear.  I'm not going to throw away the quilt paragraphs.  I may not use them in this Queer Theology paper, but I had too much fun writing them to toss them away.  Plus, there are future blog posts to write--they may show up here!


*I am using Apologetics in its classic sense, which is a justification or defense of, not apology for existence.

1 comment:

Tony Cruz said...

It sounds like both versions would make good reads; but I also think you’re wise to save parts for another day. There might come a time when you need those extra words!