Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Coldest Weather of the Year

We have not left the faucets dripping overnight since December.  We've had mild weather for much of December and much of January, mild for the month, not mild the way my heat loving spouse defines the word.  But yesterday afternoon, the weather changed.  When I got up yesterday, the temperature was 38 degrees at 4 a.m.  By 4 p.m., the temperature was 22 degrees with a whipping wind.

When I took the extra class at Spartanburg Methodist College, I knew it would meant that I wouldn't be able to walk before getting in the car to make the drive.  My plan is to walk after I return home in the afternoon.  Yesterday, I got in the car and drove up the hill to the Lutheridge Fitness Center.  It was less of a workout than I had planned, but it was better than nothing.

I felt a bit like a wimp, but felt slightly vindicated when Pub Theology was canceled last night due to the bitter cold weather we expected.  Now, Pub Theology is indoors, but it does require people to make a trip and to be out in the cold and windy dark.  I was happy to stay home.

I wish I could tell you that I got a head start on my seminary classes that start today, if the seminary doesn't stay closed because of the weather like it was yesterday.  But I didn't.  We heated up the left over pot roast pasta, watched a bit of TV, and then I crashed into an early sleep at 7 p.m. after setting up the faucet to drip.

I wish I could tell you that I slept through the night, but I didn't.  I woke up about midnight and had trouble falling back asleep.  I wasn't worried particularly, and I knew it was too early to be awake for the day.  I checked to make sure I'm on track for my classes, even though they haven't started yet.  I tried not to get too involved with tasks because I didn't want my brain whirring anymore than it already was.

Today is a day of many varied tasks, including taking my spouse to the eye doctor.  I've been trying to finish this post for hours.  It feels like pure drivel--who cares about the weather?  Well, I do, and in later years, I want to remember how the thoughts of cold consumed me for a bit.

No comments: