Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Not a Snow Day, but Close

I am glad that I moved my in person classes online yesterday.  The weather wasn't as bad here in the mountains as I was expecting, but it was worse in Spartanburg than I was expecting.  In fact, it was so much worse that we got an e-mail in the early afternoon suggesting that we consider moving our in person classes to online.  From what I could tell, there was lots of flooding.

I expected heavier winds because my family on the other side of the mountain (beyond Knoxville, Tennessee) experienced scary conditions Monday night.  But so far, it hasn't been bad.

I used the morning to get my course shells set up, which always takes more time than I think that it should.  I thought I might do other things, like work on the Bible study that I need to have done in two weeks.  But I took a break for lunch, and we got started watching the Amazon series Transparent, and before I knew it, the first season was finished, and so was the afternoon.

Earlier in the week, we watched another series that was older, Schitt's Creek.  I had heard such good things about it, but we watched three episodes and were done.  My spouse would have been done after the first one, but having heard such praise, I thought that surely it gets better.  I'll never know.

Our viewing experience yesterday was different.  For season 1 of Transparent, we were pulled in.  Then we started season 2, which was jarring.  I felt like I was watching a different set of characters dealing with different issues, and why were they acting this way? I wondered if we had skipped ahead to season 3--so much information was missing.  In season 1, the characters were repellent in many ways, but they had some likeable bits.  I didn't see that in season 2--nothing redeeming at all.  Worse, I just didn't care how the story arcs played out.  So, I won't be losing more time on that show.

I used to like the idea of streaming shows that were more involved than a movie, more deep than TV.  Now I'm just exhausted.  I want a movie so that I know how much time I am committing from the front end.

We ended the day in an old fashioned way, sitting in our chairs, listening to music.  My spouse dozed while I caught up on computer tasks.  I thought about all the rain that had fallen, about how close the morning temperature had been to freezing, about how different it would have been with all that moisture as snow/ice.  I was happy to spend a cozy day indoors and happy that the bad weather wasn't worst--like the best kind of snow day.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

I won't tell you to try any more, but it does take until the end of the first season of Schitt's Creek for it to get better. I ended up enjoying it, but daughter and I tried re-watching it recently and found it too cringey this time around. Not sure why our view changed.