Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Summer's End: Hikes and Produce and Naps

This is a week where I'm both preparing for my very busy fall semester, while also trying to think about what I need to do to be ready for the very busy fall semester.  Let me capture a few moments:

--On Monday, we went for a short hike in Pisgah National Forest.





We had waterfalls!  I live in a place where people come specifically for the hikes that take them to waterfalls, but I rarely go out to see them myself.  And happily, the trail to get to them wasn't too strenuous:




--I've bought summer produce--tomatoes, peaches, okra, and cucumbers--and then scrambled to eat them before they spoiled.

--Yesterday I felt exhausted.  Was it the hike on Monday?  I decided it was a good day for a nap, and it was delightful, with distant rumbles of thunder.  I slept for three hours, which was delightful.  Unfortunately, it also left me unable to fall asleep at my normal time, or even later.  By midnight, I had still not dropped off into deep sleep.  Sigh.

--Happily I feel O.K. today.  Soon I will go out for my walk and see if I have more energy.  Yesterday's walk was very draggy.

--I do miss having access to all of my books.  Last night it would have been nice to get up and read some of my spirituality or creativity books that have traditionally soothed me.  For the most part, I can make do with books I can get from the library, but it does make me a bit sad that for the past 10 years, my books have spent more time in boxes than on shelves.

--Today I'm starting a new project.  I'm going to write down my calories as I eat/drink them.  I'm going to do this the old-fashioned way, in a little notebook.  I'd like to drop some weight, and I'd like to do it in a non-crazy way.  I don't want to get too obsessed, but I don't want to keep gaining a pound here and a pound there.

No comments: