Tuesday, July 9, 2024

Singing in Groups Large and Small

Like Sunday, yesterday was book-ended with worship, although unlike Sunday, both worship experiences were at camp.  The morning service had sparser attendance, which I understand.  Not everyone is a morning person.

We sang "Soon and Very Soon," which is one of my favorites these days.  We had a very accomplished organist playing, which meant we got all the extra Alleluias that the song offers.  Wow.

Last night's hymns were mostly unfamiliar to me, and I wondered if it was just me--everyone else sang with such gusto.  Of course, I'm here for Music Week, which means that most of the folks here could pick up a piece of unfamiliar music and sing or play.  I have attended tiny churches all of my life, and it's been wonderful to be in a big group of people with musical talent.  We're also in smaller spaces so these voices sound even better.

I had forgotten what it's like to sing in a group that's so big that I can't hear my own voice.  My voice is serviceable, but I don't like the sound of it; I'm not that unusual from most people, I don't think.  I also know that I can sing better when I'm in a larger group of others who can sing, and that's unusual for me. I'm easily led off-key if others are singing the wrong notes.

Tonight is the last evening worship, and I will miss it.  I have my last seminary class meeting tonight.  Because it's a class in protest music, tonight will involve song.  I have my song written, and later today, I'll sing it, record it, and submit it.  Tomorrow I'll post a link.

During a bit of free time yesterday, I listened to various versions of "Poor, Wayfaring Stranger," and I was struck by how many versions exist.  I'm happy that I chose such a flexible song as the base for my own composition for the class.  "Masters of War" might have been even easier, but I don't like it as much.

It's been a treat working in other mediums, but soon, I must get back to poetry.  Because I couldn't find all of my purple legal pads, I just bought 12 more.  Maybe I'll return to poetry writing by hand.  This morning, I had a glimmer of a plan.  In the fall, when my schedule gets more packed, I'll take one of those with me each day to school.  I'll plan to write something each day, and hopefully by the end of each week, I'll have generated/captured some inspirations, and maybe even a poem or two.

No comments: