It's a long trip, which I make by car. I like being able to arrive with all my stuff, and I really like not dealing with the hassles of airline travel. For this trip, I was really happy to be able to change my travel plans with minimum hassle.
I'm glad I left early. I got in my car yesterday at 6:40 a.m., and it was already raining. The illuminated signs on the interstate that give information about road conditions told drivers of high wind warnings and advised us to be alert for debris on the roads. As I made my way north and west, the rain continued, and there was already standing water on the road.
Happily, the rain wasn't heavy, and there wasn't much traffic on the roads with me. I was able to check into the hotel with no problem, and there were plenty of luggage carts available. I got unpacked and organized and headed down to dinner.
Before the TEEM program intensive in June, I had never heard of this hotel chain. I am happy to return here again. I love that they offer both breakfast and dinner. The dinner menu changes, although I imagine there are standards. When I was here in June, the taco/burrito bar was offered twice, which was fine with me.
Last night we had pulled pork, which was great because I had been craving barbecue. It wasn't the burnt ends kind of experience I wanted, but it was good enough. I got my third glass of wine, added the former pour to it, and headed back to my room with a very full glass.
Another plus to staying at this hotel is the 3 free drinks every evening. It's not just wine, but also several kinds of beer, along with all sorts of mixed drinks. It's an interesting business decision, and last night I was happy to partake.
I spent time reading a non-academic book as I sipped my wine. On Tuesday, when I realized I'd be at the hotel an extra day, I got some regular fiction from the library, so last night, I started Kevin Wilson's Perfect Little World. Earlier this year, I read Now Is Not the Time to Panic, so when I saw it in the stacks, I decided on another book of his. So far, it's compelling. I also got Lionel Shriver's The Mandibles, which I've read twice before. It's an interesting look at a near-future dystopia, and I'd like to revisit it. We'll see if this week is the week.
Today I plan to read more of Perfect Little World, along with academic reading for the coming week. I brought my quilting project with me, so I also plan to do some sewing--my hope is that there will be something interesting on the cable stations on the big TV, but if not, there's plenty on my computer.
I'm sure Indianapolis offers many diversions, but I'm going to stay put and enjoy having time to focus on joys that I usually have to tuck in the margins of my other responsibilities.
No comments:
Post a Comment