Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Weather Reports of All Sorts

--It has been rumbly for almost a day now, distant thunder, towering clouds, but very little rain.

--There was enough of something to disrupt our internet service--AGAIN.  I have trouble believing that a modern telecommunications company is still flummoxed by basic physics--that's me, putting a nice spin on it.  If you asked me which basic physics element is flummoxing Comcast, I might be snarkier.  But it's early in the morning, and for now, I have internet access, so let me move on.

--I see my flannel pajama top sitting in the basket of clean laundry to be put away, and I reflect on how quickly the weather has changed--we're into the sultriness of summer now, the unpleasant kind, where the air feels like a hot, wet washcloth.  It's the summer weather I associate with other parts of the U.S. South, not here.  I'm missing our cool, spring days.

--I just heard a news blip about what Hillary Clinton earned in terms of book royalties and speaking fees.  Let me use my flare up of jealousy as a motivator to start sending my work out more aggressively.   And let me not castigate myself as I remember the submission schedule that I used to keep.

--On Monday, I started a 10 day shred--one of my spin class teachers and I were commiserating about needing something to jumpstart us, to get us back on track.  She said that she was doing a 10 day shred starting on May 16 and asked if I wanted to join her.  I said sure.  I like a challenge, and I like knowing that someone else is doing it too, someone who may ask me how I'm doing.

So, what does this shred look like?  No gluten, no dairy, no alcohol.  Lots of veggies, fruits, and lean protein, plus nuts and seeds.  One or two protein shakes a day.  Start the day with a detox tonic:  1 tsp. of apple cider vinegar, 2 T. lemon juice, 4 T. cranberry juice.  Only one caffeine drink a day.

I've followed it for 2 days, and so far, so good.  I'm drinking my coffee black, which is huge for me.  I've been drinking seltzer water in the place of wine, and I need to cut back on that before bedtime--lots of wakefulness to pee. 

People have asked me what I hope to accomplish, and it's hard to put it into something short and sweet.  Let me try.  I want more mindfulness about what I put in my mouth.  I want to do something about the amount of milk I've been drinking each day.  I usually drink 1 cup of coffee, 1 cup of milk, 1 Tsp. of cocoa, and 1 tsp of milk--about 100 calories per cup.  And I routinely have been drinking at least 3 coffee drinks a day, and often more.  That's a lot of calories before I've even had food.

My largest source of calories:  coffee drinks, cheese, and wine.  Could I find something less caloric that I like as well?  At least part of the time?  That's what I'm hoping to learn by this time of shred.

And of course, if I dropped a few pounds which would encourage me to keep trying to lose some weight, that would be great too.

--I wonder how this rumbly weather will affect our solar panel installation.  For the most part, it seems to be going well--of course, how would I know for sure?  This is the first time we've ever had this done to a house.  For me, going well means that no one has fallen through the roof, or any other discoveries of structural problems in the house.

Still, when I was home Monday afternoon, it was strange to hear people tromping on the roof.  I was both surprised and not surprised at how unsettled it made me feel.

--I have not been sketching as much this week, but I have been practicing my mandolin.  We're trying a one week experiment--if we leave the mandolins out, will we practice more?

--And I'll be doing a summer-long experiment:  I'll be trying to learn to be at ease on the motorcycle.  If I can't, perhaps by Labor Day we'll decide to sell it.  It's somewhat ridiculous, having 4 vehicles for 2 drivers.

--So much I want to accomplish--so little time.

No comments: