Saturday, December 10, 2016

December Flood

Ordinarily, I'd be getting my spin bike set up on a Saturday.  But not this morning--it's been raining for hours, heavily raining for the last two. 



I tried to capture the event a few hours ago--now the sidewalk is covered, as is part of the front lawn.




I was struck by the juxtaposition of seasons:  Christmas (red ball in planter), Autumn (pumpkins), and Hurricane (flooding yard):




We've lived here for 3.5 years, and the pool has never overflowed.  This morning, it did.  We put the pump in reverse to control where the chlorinated water was flowing. I hope the hibiscus survive.



My spouse asked me if we had flood insurance.  Indeed we do, and we pay a huge chunk of cash for it.  This morning, I'm glad we have it.



Once I'd have called this a strange rain event--this time period used to be called our dry season.  But in the past seven years, we've had these events so regularly that we will soon call them normal.



Or can we call any weather normal in these days of a wrecked planet? 

No comments: