Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Ashes, Concrete, Dust

Last year, as I left work to go to Ash Wednesday service, I stopped to enjoy the sunset, which seemed a fitting beginning to Ash Wednesday service:



But then I noticed the crane being framed by the window of the parking garage and backlit by the sunset. 




Later, I captured this shot, which shows the glittering towers of Ft. Lauderdale in the background, a parking garage in the foreground:



I tend to think of Ash Wednesday metaphors in terms of what is decomposing:  stars, bodies, all sorts of biological matter.  But decomposing takes many forms.  The ever encroaching march of concrete strikes me as an apt metaphor for Ash Wednesday too:



The concrete covers what we once knew as a familiar landscape.  The cranes hoist new forms into place.  It's a graveyard, of sorts.  We will all be in that graveyard soon enough.



That's why we smear ashes on our foreheads.  Let us remember our mortality and let us not waste a single day.

1 comment:

bestessay discount code said...

Amazing! all the pictures are incredible but i love the last one just a little too much! the ashes on you forehead is a great idea. so passionate and lively. i would share this with my friends.