Sunday, May 28, 2017

Day One of Memorial Day Week-end

My 3 day week-end is off to a good start, but I don't have much time to write, because we're trying to buy a lawnmower before church.  Let me list some highlights from yesterday:

--I had a GREAT spin class.  Our teacher took seriously my request for more Queen--we had at least 6 Queen songs, plus one from Billy Squier, one from Pat Benatar--many favorites from my youth, and I was able to push myself in a good way.

--I caught up with some friends by having some brunch at their house.  It was good to reconnect, but it makes me feel a bit sad to realize how many friends I have that are more and more far-flung.  It's no longer a matter of connecting by walking down the hall to an office or classroom.

--My spouse was feeling depressed for a variety of reasons, chief among them the various things around the house that were defying his attempts to fix them.  So we took a trip to World Market, a place in southeast Hollywood we've never explored.  It was a bit claustrophobic on a Saturday with lots of people there.  But we picked up some interesting items, along with the mushrooms that we needed for a recipe.  If you ever need any pickled vegetable, World Market is for you.

--I had time to return to the world of Margaret Drabble.  The Radiant Way is as wonderful as I remember.

--My spouse and I took a walk to the marina, but my heavens, it was a scorcher of a day.  So we spent some time in the pool afterwards.

--I had thought we might get to bed early, but our PBS station was showing Walk the Line.  I had forgotten how compelling that movie is--and how cataclysmically sad.  Who will be my generation's Johnny Cash and June Carter, worthy of a movie?  Kurt Cobain and Courtney Love?  I would see that movie.

No comments: