Tuesday, August 14, 2018

AWP 2019: Portland Here I Come

In the past few weeks, when I haven't been thinking about home repairs, I've been thinking about the 2019 AWP conference.  Could I really get myself to Portland?  Could I be gone for part of the week before the Spring quarter start?  Is this conference really worth the effort?

I decided that it is worth the effort.  When it comes to deciding the best time to be away from work, the time when I'm least likely to be needed, the only time that's clear is the week between Christmas and New Year's Day; in short, there's no great time to be away, so it's important to make that time happen when possible.  And it's important to model good behavior:  taking time for professional development.  And for now, there's still travel money.

So, last week, I went ahead and registered for the conference.  Then I researched hotels.  I learned from various comments on Facebook friends' feeds that there's really no conference hotel that's close to the convention center, the way there was in Tampa.  And yesterday, when the availability of conference hotels was released to those of us who aren't presenting, I didn't see anything that jumped out at me.

I made reservations at the Embassy Suites, the one that's at 319 SW Pine Street in Portland, Oregon. In Tampa, I was so impressed with their breakfast buffet and evening happy hour (free alcohol! free snacks)--and no hotel is really close to the Convention Center. This one is 7/10 of a mile away--but the Marriot was almost a full mile away. I decided I'd walk a bit further, to be able to have free food in the morning. Plus the location is much better--right by Voodoo Donut and Powell's Bookstore.

The good thing about this hotel reservation--another reason I chose this hotel, instead of the others listed on the AWP site--is that I can cancel or change the reservation without penalty 2 days before the check in date. I decided to go ahead and hold the hotel room instead of waiting until I was absolutely sure about the arrival day.

I became a rewards member so that I could get free wi-fi at the hotel.  And then I called to see if my March stay could count for the points.  I was still in the 6 month window--hurrah!  I have no idea if I'll ever accumulate enough points to be worth anything.

Now to see if I can make magic happen when it comes to airline travel.  How I hate airline travel.  And I'll need to travel with luggage.  Ugh.

I find myself feeling both excited and scared at the thought of this trip.  It will be good to feel the fear and do it anyway.

No comments: