Thursday, August 2, 2018

Tasks in a Time of Flooring Change

I expected the Great Flooring Project to be disruptive in many ways, and it has been.  It's temporary, and we've controlled some of the parameters, so this aftermath of Hurricane Irma feels a bit less awful than the hurricane itself, but it may end up being just as disruptive.

Today I sit here waiting for contractors; Monday I took a day of PTO to get everything moved out of the half of the house that gets new flooring first.  We are now living in the half of the house that has no walls.

I didn't realize how much of my morning routine needs light until I was trying to attend to basic tasks while my spouse was trying to sleep just feet away.  I could make the coffee using just the ambient light.  I can find the clothes I need in the laundry basket by sense of touch.  I used to tidy up by washing dishes before I left in the morning, but that's impossible since most mornings, I'm leaving in the 6 a.m. darkness.

Writing is turning out to be more difficult.  My computer system (old laptop, large monitor) at the foot of the bed sends out enough light to disturb my spouse.  I can't easily write by hand in the dark.  I've still not resolved this issue.  Write regardless?  Decide that I can't really do writing tasks in the early morning hours the way that I used to do until this phase of the Great Flooring Project is over?

Happily, I think this state of affairs will change in a week or two.  I am aware that I might find myself in a new set of circumstances that won't make writing any easier.  I'll look for ways to insert bits of writing into different parts of my day.  Maybe I'll see some options I haven't seen before.

The good news is that the sub flooring looks to be in fairly good condition.  That suggests to me that the joists aren't going to rot out from under us.  My spouse would want me to point out that the joists are made of Dade County pine, a very tough wood.  It will likely not rot even when the seas rise up and submerge it--or I should say, it will be the last wood to rot on the bed of the new sea floor.

No comments: