Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Brief Retreat Retrospective

I thought I would have more internet access across the week-end than I did.  On Saturday night, the wind howled all night, and by morning, part of camp had lost power, and all of camp had lost wi-fi.  And before then, I couldn't pick up the wi-fi in my room. 

In a way, that was good.  I was happy to be away and mostly happy to be offline.  But it would have been easier had it been the way that it is at Mepkin Abbey--there is no wi-fi unless you're working in the library.  Once I know that there will be no access, I quit looking for it.

It was good to be away, but it's also good to be home.  Let me make a quick list of h--ighlights of the week-end; perhaps I shall dive in more deeply later:

--For the most part, the drive, while long, went well.

--I liked the retreat.  I had hoped I might get some sort of epiphany that I couldn't get any other way, but if I've had one, it will take some time to realize it.  But it was good to be reminded of the kinds of simplifying I can do and should still keep working on.

--It was great to reconnect with old friends, both along the way and at the retreat.  It was wonderful to have hours to spend catching up, not just a meal.

--I had hoped to see more autumnal colors, but it's been a warm season in the southeast, so I just saw some leaves here and there.

--A retreat friend and I spent part of Saturday afternoon at the arboretum.  It was beautiful. 

--I didn't go to my favorite orchard, but I stopped at an apple warehouse on my way down the mountain.  I've munched on apples for several meals.  Delicious!

--I took far more stuff than I needed.  The retreat was not set up for sketching, so I could have left those supplies at home.  I brought more books than I needed, even with limited Internet access.  But that's one of the joys of traveling by oneself in the car--I can take supplies I may not need.

--In short, I'm glad I made the effort.  Being away makes me appreciate being home--and helps me to remember all the options I have for how to live my best life.

No comments: