Sunday, March 15, 2020

Online Journal Group in a Time of Pandemic

Yesterday in the midst of my internet wandering in search of new pandemic information, I saw that one of my favorite online retreat leaders is offering another online journaling group like the kind that was so meaningful to me at the end of 2018.

I'd have signed up regardless of the topic, but it seemed like an additional "Do this" message to discover that we'll be reading Cynthia Bourgeault.  She's a theologian whom I'd never heard of before a few years ago, but now it seems that people far and wide are mentioning her in their blogs, tweets, and Facebook posts.

We'll be sketching using 3 markers in shades of gray and a color that brings us joy.  I chose lilac as my joy color.  I love purple, and I thought a soft purple would bring me more joy than a vivid purple.  I bought more ink to refill them.  I went ahead and ordered the multiliner pens too, even though I have some of them.  I've been expecting the ones I bought earlier to run out of ink at any moment.

We'll have hour long online discussions via Zoom meetings.  These will be at noon Eastern Daylight Time on Friday, another "Do this" message.  I can close my office door and join in, and very few in the office will even notice because Fridays are so slow.

The experience begins March 22, so last night, I went ahead and ordered everything.  It's amazing to me that something like this can come together so quickly--ah, the wonders of our digital age.

This online journaling group is open to us all--and many of us might suddenly have more time than we once would have.  It fits with all the guidelines of social distancing in this time of pandemic, yet it will also help us maintain connectedness.

If it sounds interesting to you, go here.  But it starts March 22, so you don't have much time.

No comments: