Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Gardens that Enchant

As I wait for the onground intensive to start later today, let me post a few more thoughts about creating enchanting garden space.  After writing yesterday, I took a few more pictures.  




I love the idea of finding clay pieces here and there.  When I visit potters, I often think about how many mugs I already have.  I also love the idea of creating some clay pieces out of some of my sketches.  

My younger self might have worried about nailing something to a tree trunk.  




My older self thinks that the pine trees would probably be just fine with a short nail here or there.

My friend has found intriguing bird feeders to hang in the trees.  I love the idea of a bird feeder made of glass.  Of course, she lives in suburban Columbia, SC, where she doesn't have to worry about a bear breaking the bird feeder.



She also has this wicker bird shelter:




I love how she's put small statues in her garden and how they blend into the landscape:




Here's a closer look at the statue:



I love how her garden aesthetic shows a variety of influences:  medieval mazes, meditation gardens from all sorts of traditions, whimsical touches here and there, a collection of delights that people may or may not discover.  She purchased some of it, while other parts were repurposed, and she's spent the past year, getting to know the space, letting the space shape her vision of what it could be.




And this firepit shows all of those elements best.  The firepit was here, but overgrown.  She brought some of the chairs with her and rescued some that were here.  She bought a lantern or two, along with twinkle lights to string in the trees.  And as the seasons change, she adds and subtracts; the geraniums are an early summer addition.

I'm happy to have such inspirations!

No comments: