Sunday, August 16, 2026

Crazy Quilts and Not So Crazy Inspirations

I did not go back to the Asheville Quilt show yesterday, so I was so happy this morning that a quilting friend of mine made a Facebook post that included this picture of the quilt that captured my imagination, but I neglected to get a picture.

photo by Theresa Blaylock Durden

She also took a picture of the quilter's explanation that tells that the quilt contains ribbons and other ephemera from 4 generations.


It's not a project that I can do at this point--I have not collected these kinds of items from past generations or done much keeping of my own.  We are not a people prone to fripperies and adornments, at least not the kind we attach to clothing ourselves.

People are starting to give me robes, stoles, and clerical shirts after people die.  Perhaps in my later years, a quilt?  I don't want to cut up stoles, at least not the ones I have so far.

Even before I saw this quilt and wrote the above paragraph, I had a line for a poem, which came to me on Thursday:  "I cut my cousin’s clericals."  I wrote down the line because I liked the repetition of the letter c.  Now perhaps a poem will follow. 

No comments: