It's been a strange beginning to the work week. Let me record, so I don't forget.
--I've been in that liminal space where it's time to settle into the semester, yet I could still delay doing that for another few days. My office hour time has been consumed by meetings and Convocation, so I have yet to get my Brightspace course shells set up. At this point, it doesn't matter, because the classes meet in person. Soon, though, it will be time for students to submit work, and I need to get those structures set up.
--I've been trying to decide how to record what I do in class--I'm going to keep a weekly list in my bullet journal, because it will be easier to find it again. I've also discovered that I need to do a better job of adding handouts to the course shell. I did none of that in last year's Creative Writing class. Happily, I recorded a lot of what I did in this blog.
--Last night, I saw a Facebook post that Wesley Seminary created with a “We’re welcoming students back to campus!” motif: tables of breakfast, welcome baskets, happy faces. I am happy for those students, don’t get me wrong. But it does remind me of how my time at seminary was not what I expected, with no one on hand for move in day, no welcome of any kind. We were still social distancing in 2022, so that was part of it. For the 1st part of the semester back in 2022, we wore masks to our in-person classes.
For the most part, I’m still very happy I got to go to seminary, to attend physically in person, for a year. But occasionally, I feel a stunning sadness at all the ways it was so different from what I expected.
--Let me end with a happier memory of this 2nd week's beginning. I went to the library to pick up my book on hold: Nora Ephron's I Feel Bad about My Neck. The librarian touched her neck and said, "This 72 year old librarian feels seen."
I told her about my idea for my Nonfiction Writing class, which is focusing on the wide variety of personal essays we could write as a way to begin the class. I'm bringing in Molly Jong-Fast's NYT essay with its realistic assessment of plastic surgery which references the Ephron essay. I said, "Of course, these students are 19 and 20 years old, and they have gorgeous skin, so I don't know if they can relate to any of this."
The librarian beamed at me and said, "You're going to have a wonderful class. Those students are so lucky."
We did have a really good class yesterday. My English 101 and ALP classes were good too.
--In an evening of whiplash, with up and down feelings, I did ask God for a sign, even though I don't really believe God works that way. I looked at the screen door and saw a perfect, tiny butterfly, so perfect that I wondered if someone had put a butterfly sticker on the screen. Nope--my spouse took the screen door off the sliding track, and it flew away.
I'm going to see it as a sign of blessing, even if I'm a woman who tells herself that she doesn't believe in signs.
No comments:
Post a Comment