Thursday, August 1, 2013

Exorcisms and Additional Baggage

It's hard to believe that the month of July has just zoomed right by.  I'm going to indulge myself and over the next few days, look back a bit on this whirlwind of a month.

Four weeks ago, early in the morning of July 4th, my spouse and I got up and headed to the airport.  We were headed off to Maryland for a sailing trip.  I love packing for those trips--it's low key and easy.  No need for dress up clothes or a different outfit for every day.  Just an extra outfit (shorts and top) and a swimsuit and socks because I can't sleep with bare feet.  I also took a long-sleeved shirt, but lost it somewhere between the parking garage and the airport.

As we waited to board the plan, my spouse heard the woman call forward anyone who needed extra assistance.  He looked at me with arched eyebrows and said, "For a minute, I heard her say, 'Anyone requiring an exorcism.'"

We fell into serious giggles, imagining the airlines being quite strict with the stowage of demons--after all, most airlines won't even let you bring an extra carry on bag.

But we were flying Southwest, so maybe they would have.  And then we thought of the movie possibilities.  If you can have snakes on a plane, why not demons?

We continued to have fun with that kind of hilarity for our whole miniature vacation.  I love this kind of family time:  relaxed, laid back, sailing the Chesapeake.  It was great to take a break from our house buying activities.  We could rest easy in the knowledge that it was a holiday week-end, and nobody would be expecting us to answer e-mail, send documents, send additional information, or move money from place to place. 

In short, it was an idyllic vacation, even with the heat and the occasional jellyfish sting.

No comments: