Sunday, July 19, 2020

Baking Report: First Loaves of Bread Made with New Sourdough Starter

I have bread dough rising while the oven pre-heats for an hour.  I'm experimenting with this technique described on the King Arthur website, which means my baking stones are also preheating, along with a cast iron skillet.  An hour from now, before I put the bread dough on the stones, I'll pour boiling water into the hot skillet.

The part of me that is my grandmother's daughter cannot believe I'm pre-heating the oven for an hour.  The part of me that is a fraidy-cat worries about the oven melting the floor if it's on high heat for that long.

The part of me that loves good bread moves forward, writing here, while the oven pre-heats for an hour and the bread dough rises.

For this bread dough, I used sourdough starter, but I also used yeast.  In fact, I used the last of the yeast that I bought at Christmas.  My family met in Marco Island for a reunion, and I bought a jar of yeast thinking I would bake Christmas bread in our rental condo.  I didn't bake, but because we were in a car, I could bring the yeast with me.  In March, when the world ran out of yeast and flour, I was glad to have extra of both.

Yesterday, I did some shopping early in the morning, and for the first time, I found the shelf stocked with jars of yeast!  My first impulse was to buy them all, but I'm not selfish.  I did buy 3 jars, but that still left plenty for others.  I offered a jar or two to my bread baking pastor, but he had bought a pound and a half back when he found it online, so he's good.

I also found toilet paper, so I stocked up there as well.  I am fully expecting some supply chain disruptions to come, so when I can find items that have been in short supply, I do tend to buy some extra.

And now the bread is in the oven baking. 




We are going to have a scrumptious breakfast of hot bread and butter.

It's been a great week-end of stocking up on supplies, baking, cooking, and reading.  I started reading Curtis Sittenfeld's Rodham Friday night and finished it yesterday evening.  It's an alternative history of sorts; it asks the question, "What would have happened if Hillary Rodham hadn't married Bill Clinton?"  It was fascinating and compelling.  It was perfect for my Read for Fun week-end.

And now, the bread has cooled a bit. 




It will never taste better than it tastes right now, so let me eat some:



No comments: