Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Pandemic Brain vs. Hurricane Brain

Because we don't have enough to worry about, I'm keeping my eye on a tropical system that's expected to plow into South Florida this week-end.  Will it just be a tropical disturbance?  Will it assemble itself enough to be a tropical storm or a hurricane?  Is there any chance it could be a strong hurricane?  A strong hurricane seems unlikely, but in this time of very warm oceans, it's not as impossible as it might once have been.

Ugh.  And I went grocery shopping yesterday and shopped with my pandemic brain (stock up and load the freezer so we don't have to shop again soon!) instead of my hurricane brain (only buy non-perishables).  Of course, if we lose a freezer of food, that's survivable.  

I've been beating myself up for making a rookie mistake, while also reminding myself that we're all rookies, having none of us gone through a global pandemic like this one before.

I came across an interesting term this morning:  holy resilience.  One of my pastor friends recorded a "Come to Jesus" meditation to remind us that these times are hard, but we can be resilient.  She mentioned a blog post that used the term "holy resilience"; I did a search and came across this post.  It's got lots of encouraging words, lots of good ideas, lots of Bible verses that address different aspects of what it takes to get through trying times.

I'll keep meditating on that phrase in the days to come.  

Today I plan to watch the swearing-in ceremony for Virginia's new poet laureate--Luisa A. Igloria.  It's always thrilling to me when a poet I know is selected for publication or an honor of any sort.  It reminds me that there can be rewards for persistence.  The deck is not stacked--you don't have to know someone to get noticed.

Of course, you do have to put in the work.  Luisa has been writing at least one poem a day for years now.  If you want to get a sense of her work, the Via Negative website is a great place to start.  My favorite book of hers is The Buddha Wonders if She Is Having a Mid-life Crisis, which you can buy here at the Phoenicia Press website.

And now, speaking of work, I need to get ready for work.  

No comments: