Thursday, December 9, 2021

Technology Failures, New Students, Construction, Oh My

I knew that yesterday would be exhausting, but as is usually is the case, it was exhausting in ways that surprised me.  Yesterday was the first day of winter quarter where we would have new students on campus, and we were expecting 18 new EMT students.  That alone would have been enough to make me expect a certain level of exhaustion--we haven't had that many new students arrive to campus in over a year.  We've had much smaller starts, which makes me think dark thoughts about the future of higher ed in general and my school in particular, but that's a subject for another day.

I had been told by various people that we were good to go, but I didn't go up to the classroom to check on all the equipment.  And sure enough, the equipment wasn't working.  We tried a variety of work arounds, because classes these days require a working computer to access presentations and the internet.  We had tablets without the cords necessary to connect them to the equipment.  We had cell phones that could work as a hot spot, but no ability to access the necessary components.  The two classrooms that weren't being used didn't have projectors that worked, and since all projectors are bolted to the ceiling, we couldn't swap out equipment.  Was there time to find a Best Buy to go purchase a cord?

Some of the material could be presented without electronics, which happened, while we tried to troubleshoot the lack of equipment.  Finally, we came up with the plan:  the students would have an extra long lunch, and then they'd take over a different classroom once the Vet Tech students were done for the day.

I was profoundly grateful for the team on the ground with me.  We all stayed amiable despite the frustrations of not having what we needed, of being told all was ready when it was not.  We kept trying to create solutions, even as we had no success.

There were other elements of exhaustion.  Our building's 2 elevators have been declared irrevocably broken, and so we went up and down the stairs all day long.  The 3rd floor where our EMT classroom is located shares space with parole officers, so there is extra security.  Doors must stay locked, and that means the 2 of us with the key fobs have to go up with students to let them in.

And of course, other crises intruded.  One of our Vet Tech instructors declared that she would need a different classroom on final exam day (in February), and what would we do?  I said that we'd deal with that crisis later, since the EMT crises was much more immediate. 

The painter came, and the construction work resumed, and there was talk of moving library books.  I found myself getting increasingly grumpy about the tendency to fix/destroy what's already working while still not having basic equipment to do the work of the school which is teaching students the skills they need.  I tried not to let my grumpiness spill over onto those who showed up with jobs to do but without the power to make decisions.

I returned home to my last small group meeting of the year and my last seminary class of the year.  Two of my groupmates had done some wordsmithing on a document that's due from the group, and I am so grateful to have cheerful groupmates who pulled our project together.  The last class meeting was a peaceful end to a hectic day, and again, gratitude suffused me.

Today should be a quieter day on campus.  The technology could fail at any moment--I am well aware of that.  The construction will continue.  But at least we will have fewer classes, and as of right now, I have no meetings scheduled.  I need a day to catch my breath and tend to the more mundane administrative tasks.

No comments: