Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Seminary Student Gratitudes

Last night was my first night of seminary class after reading week ended, and for my New Testament class, it was our first meeting in 3 weeks.  Two weeks ago, my professor was on a plane to lead a study tour in the Holy Land, so we had an online module.  As she opened the class, my professor noted how much has changed in those 3 weeks.  Then, instead of an opening devotion or lectio divina, she played a video that showed people reciting/praying Psalm 31 in Ukrainian.  Some of the people were definitely in a shelter of some kind.  Some were surrounded by suitcases.

I thought about how lucky I am to be part of this seminary community, where of course we will pray these kinds of prayers.  Our discussion of Paul's letter to the Romans circled back to Ukraine in interesting ways; after all, Romans 13 advocates submission to political leaders, saying that God has ordained them.

God has ordained Vladimir Putin?  Really?

It was such a good conversation that some of us lingered after the class began to talk about issues of predestination, election and grace--reading Romans 9-11 really triggered one of my fellow students who had gone to a more Calvinist/Presbyterian secondary school, although he is a more mainstream Methodist.  I thought about my own experiences in elementary school years in a private school run by Presbyterians.  But since it was in Montgomery, Alabama, they were closer to Baptists than to Calvinists.  Each Friday in fifth grade we had chapel with a hellfire and brimstone sermon and altar call.  Each Friday in 5th grade, I asked Jesus to come into my heart, just in case he hadn't heard me in previous weeks.

But I digress.  

One of the benefits of a virtual synchronous seminary class is that I can stay late but not have to drive home.  After 40 minutes of additional, soul nourishing conversation, we all logged off, and I headed to bed, where I had trouble falling asleep because it had been such a good class.

Yesterday was a day full of reminders of how grateful I am to be a seminary student.  Yesterday was the day that applications open for on-campus housing for Fall 2022, and I had some questions.  Once again, I called the very nice person in charge, and once again, she was so helpful.  We don't actually have to pay a deposit until we move in; unlike other places, it's not to hold our spot.  Our spot will be ours until we move in (and pay the deposit) or tell the housing office that we've found something else.  It's so different from some school experiences.  

I also did our taxes yesterday.  I had hoped that the tuition that I paid would lead to a bigger refund, and indeed, it did.  Hurrah!  Again, I was happy to be reminded of the advantages of being a seminary student.

Yesterday morning, it was rainy, and I made this Facebook post:  "Well, my current state of mind could be dangerous. I decided not to go for a walk, since it seems rainy. I'm enjoying tea and homemade bread that is toasted and spread with butter, and I'm realizing why people decide never to exercise/work again, when they could enjoy mornings with tea and toast and butter."

But part of what made it so delightful was that I had seminary work to do, and I had the time to immerse myself in it.  And what's even more delightful is that this situation will continue--it wasn't just a one day holiday from the office.

No comments: