Sunday, March 13, 2022

Time for Writing, Time for Travel

Most days I would have already been out walking, watching the early parts of sunrise.  Today, the first day of daylight savings time when a cold front has blown through, it is dark outside, and I'm staying put for a bit.  My spouse was up late, so he'll be sleeping for a bit longer.  Let me see if I can get some writing done.

I wish I had an idea for a poem, or ideas that seem to be coalescing enough that I reach for my poetry notebook.  But that is not my plan for this morning.

I have a variety of seminary class discussion posts that I need to get ready to post in the next 24 hours.  Some of them are already at rough draft stage, so I just need to revise them and figure out how to conclude them.

I am about to enter a different phase of being a seminary student.  In the fall, I began as a seminary student with a full-time administrator job plus a part-time teaching job.  Since early February, I've been a seminary student with a part-time teaching job.  Two of those classes just ended, but one more has started.  I am about to start travelling for the next five weeks, so in some ways, I've got more balancing to do.

But I'll be travelling to places where I'm expecting to be able to find wi-fi, so I can still get my seminary work done.  I continue to be amazed at how easy it is to access secondary sources from the seminary library.  Much has changed since the first time I was in grad school from 1987-1992.  

I am enjoying this time of underemployment when it has become possible to immerse myself in seminary studies and travel in a way that I couldn't have if still employed in my administrator job.  I didn't have enough vacation time, and I never would.

I am not doing non-seminary writing and submitting in the way that I would like.  But I've had times of less creative writing before, and I know that fallow times are normal.  And I am still writing.  It may not be writing that will lead to publication, but my poetry/fiction writing often doesn't lead to publication either.

All writing keeps us in practice, keeps us noticing, keeps us prioritizing writing.  Let me turn my attention to writing that is due in the next 24-48 hours.

No comments: