Friday, September 2, 2022

Week 1 of Seminary Classes: First Impressions

And so, week 1 of seminary classes comes to a close.  I've downloaded syllabi, bought books, and even turned in an assignment.  I've been to the first meeting of each class, and I'm happy to report that I am genuinely looking forward to each class.  So let me write my first week impressions.  I'll take each class in order of when they happen in the week. 

Monday nights from 6:30 to 8:30, I take a class called Leading Innovation.  It's a virtual synchronous class, which means we meet on Zoom.  The subject matter isn't unfamiliar to me.  It seems like we'll be exploring a process that I've done as part of a church and part of a synod:  exploring an individual church's strengths and weaknesses, exploring how the individual church interacts with the surrounding community.   It will be interesting to see how this instructor explores these issues; he does consulting work throughout the Methodist church, so he's led many churches and church leaders through this process.

Tuesday afternoon from 1:30 to 4:30, I take Pastoral Care and Counseling in Context, also a virtual synchronous class.  I could have taken this class or a more basic Intro to Pastoral Counseling class.  I wanted this one because it focuses not just on the individual and the pastor, but looking at the wider culture.  This instructor has expanded the idea of the wider culture.  Once this class looked only at family systems, but this instructor will take a more sociological approach and look at various systems that can impact a parishioner and a pastor, particularly oppressive systems, like racism or colonialism.  The instructor said that he was adding more non-western resources to the curriculum that he inherited.  I realize these aspects (non-western resources, societal systems of oppression) would be an immediate turn off for some, but for me, it's essential. 

On Tuesday night from 6:30 to 9:30, I take Foundations of Preaching, which will teach us how to write and deliver a sermon.  That may sound dry, especially for those who have been preaching/teaching/presenting for a long time.  But the teacher is especially dynamic, and the activities will be varied.  It's a hy-flex course.  I decided to attend in person--two Zoom classes in a day could be too much.

On Thursday afternoon from 1:30 to 3:30, I'm taking Creative Process, Spiritual Practice.  We'll be exploring a variety of creative processes, from sketching outside to watercolors to improv to fiber arts to creative writing.  And we won't just analyze them from a distance--we'll actually do them.  It sounds like the best kind of creative retreat, which is a main reason I chose Wesley, so that I can take classes like this one.

On Thursday night, I'm in Church History 1 class.  I was a bit leery of taking this heavy class at the end of a class week and at a time slot from 6:30 to 9:30.  Those who know me know that for many nights, 9:30 is past my bedtime.  Happily, the instructor is dynamic and has a wonderful way of injecting humor into the class.  Once I thought about taking on a third major but I couldn't decide what I should add to my undergraduate majors of English and Sociology--it might have been History or it might have been Religion and Philosophy.  In the end, I didn't add a third major, but I did take a lot of history classes.

I have said before that I am happy that my instructors are passionate about the subjects that they are teaching.  I do feel that I should be able to count on instructor enthusiasm for the subject, but I've been around long enough to realize that it's not always a given, particularly when the instructors are adjunct professors (some of my professors are adjuncts which is always a bit of a surprise to me).  As I think about these instructors, I'm struck by their day jobs.  They're not trying to cobble together a living from teaching adjunct classes.  Those day jobs will also enrich our experiences as students and learning communities as instructors working outside academia will bring information to the class that a full-time person might not.

I am thrilled with these classes, which is good, because after the upheavals of the past few years, I don't want to be saddled with doubt that comes from blah classes.  I realize that day may come.  Surely all my classes won't inspire this kind of happiness in me?  But so far they have.  I am grateful for this state of being.

No comments: